Friday, March 23, 2007

Hmmmm.

by Grant

    I guess my Dad had a heart-attack this week. He drove himself to the hospital yesterday and they checked him out. I guess that on Sunday night he had a heart attack but didn't do anything about it because he's had a several instances in the past when he's felt really bad, but nothing odd shows up. They put three stents in last night and are going to keep him a couple of days. I think he's in Twin Falls. I'm not really sure about all the details, but it's definitely scary. Facing your own mortality (or even the mortality of a close family member) is very scary. But I think that a couple things are important to note here.

1. If you are sure of your eternal destination. If you are sure you are going to Heaven. If you are sure, not "I think so" then death doesn't hold quite as much power over you.

2. You can be confident that God will provide for your family even without you.

3. Life is a vapor. Whether you're 15 or 50, God makes no guarantees on length of life. I think if you live your life every day aware that life is a gift from God, and your family is a gift from God, then you will be much less angry and bitter when those gifts are retracted.


I was asked when I was in sixth grade how long I wanted to live. I said 50. People thought that was nuts. But I stand by it. If I live until I'm 50 then my kids will be grown (or mostly grown) and I will have lived an enjoyable life. If God gives me more years, then I will accept each day with gratitude.

No comments: