Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Have Blog, Will Travel

by Grant

I've probably used that headline before, but I like it. It's a reference to an old time radio program starring John Daner (sp?) as Paladin! He was a hired gun with morals and ethics. But getting back to blogging. Argh. It's been a rough few days. I flew back to Boise on Friday. Did I mention I hate Southwest??? Grr. I tried to get on the wrong plane once, so I stood in line for nothing. Of course, it was 20 minutes for my plane's departure and I was at the right gate but it's really confusing with all the cattle, sorry people, milling around. I finally got to Boise and Rebekah and Mom and assorted children picked me up. Then we cruised over to Denny's to meet my brother who was shuttling my Mom back to Twin to see my Dad. BTW, I absolutely hate writing like this. First we did this, then we did that, then we did this, then I put a gun in my mouth a pulled the trigger cause it bored me so bad. My life isn't that interesting, but but writing about it sucks anything interesting completely out of it. Well, I guess what's had me preoccupied for the past several days was plumbing problems. Although my Dad is very skilled and loves to work outside, that's been a part of my character that I've had to work on. I don't tan, I burn, so that is God telling me to stay inside where there's electricity. Well, I fight that and try to handle most issues around house and home by myself. Why? Pride and because I'm cheap. Where is this all leading you ask, I'm thinking Toledo (Isn't that where Klinger is from?). Well, to make an ugly and long story uglier and longer, I tried with all my might to snake the clog out of the drain. Finally, I told Rebekah (this is Saturday keep in mind) to try and get a plumber out here. Neither of us relished a whole weekend without bathroom facilities or showers. Well, we called Roto-Rooter....
Ok, Roto Rooter came out with a drain auger and it started draining. But it was still backing up after a couple toilet-flushes. So, they pulled the lid off my septic tank. They declared that it was full and I needed a new drain field. They could start tomorrow and it would cost $10,000. Well, in order to get prepared for that we had to pump the septic tank anyway so they sent somebody out. After pumping it out he checked some things out and we noticed that although I had the bathtub running, hardly any water was coming out. So I check the cleanout again and it was still backing up! This should not happen after a pumping if my drain field was bad. So, although we still had a problem I was happy because that meant my drain field wasn't the problem. I came home yesterday and dug down to the pipe and found that it had been flattened and crimped. Plus, there was a lot of water so I keep looking and found a huge hole in the pipe. Needless to say, these were all serious problems. But, all is well that ends well (Please, Dear Lord let this be the end of it) and we have facilities again with the help of the local home depot and God. I say God because I had never done anything like this before.

Baby update:
-Liberty is eating well now (she wasn't a few days ago I guess). We'll have a weight update tomorrow (well, appt. is tomorrow). Serenity has slacked off a little as she seems to be tired. Babies still are not sleeping well and still having some gas problems. We may end up having to migrate completely to formula as they seem to be tolerating what they are on (regular enfamil). Of course, we want breast milk for obvious reasons, but it's very hard for Rebekah to pump enough.

Dad update:
Dad is pretty miserable and still having some problems. He has a severe cold and is on a ton of medications post operation. He's trying to stay upbeat, but my Dad is very active and I'm sure if he doesn't get better rapidly he'll have trouble adjusting.

Thanks for all your prayers, well-wishes, etc. We could still use an au pair though.

No comments: