Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Update

by Grant

    Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been a combination of not a lot a news plus being busier with the babies and busier for me at work. We're migrating Fruitland (our largest site) from one Network Operating system/e-mail system to a totally different one. I am on the hook for a lot of techniques used to migrate users and have to be available to support them when they call. The good news is I'm not at work every day of the migration, the bad news is that I work every day of the migration. Normally that's not too big a deal, but it wears on you. It's hard to really relax. Rebekah has been trying to spend more time with the babies nursing them, etc. in the hopes that they can come home soon.

We've been fortunate enough to have the same nurse for the past week. Her name is Hetty which is short for <name I can't spell and would mangle the pronunciation>. I was very interested in her accent which was fairly strong. But Hetty is a grandmother type (the sternish kind) and I was a little afraid of how to ask it tactfully. Where are you from usually yields something like "Meridian." So, then you say, "No, I mean originally." Then they say "Chicago." Then it gets awkward and you say, "who's side were you on during World War II?" Thankfully, I asked her about her name and then asked what the origination was. I knew her accent was european, but the name didn't seem germanic. Interestingly enough, it was dutch. Which I think that's what my ancestors were. I'll ask my mom to be sure. Hetty is neat and she's the only person so far that had any interest in other children's names. Her husband sounds like my dad. He can't be bothered to read fictional books. Of course, I gave my Dad one of the best non-fiiction books of all time to read (3 years ago was it?) and he can't bring himself to pick it up because there are no Krauts in it. Not sure if that's a nostalgia reason or what. Things were better back then I know, what with Polio and the holocaust and the like :)

BTW, Polio is not that game where you hit the ball with a mallet (whilst riding some four-legged beast).

Anyway, Hetty made some cute thingy with the girls footprints on it. Rebekah told me what it was and I saw it, but I'm not quite sure what it's called. I'll let Rebekah do that.

Update on the girls...

They are still girls. They're still brunettes. They're still identical. They're still babies. hmmm... what else?

Both gaining weight ok. I guess their spells are improving (fewer and farther between). They're doing good on the bottle, but still being supplemented through the tube. Nothing earth shattering, which is good.

Rebekah and I were taken out to eat yesterday (business lunch) by a friend of mine (who is doing some consulting work for my company and me). He had a daughter born @ 23 weeks so he is very aware of what we're going through. We had a good talk about a lot of stuff. His daughter's bill was $1.3 million. We're not quite that bad yet. But he was very fortunate because his insurance company and medicaid took care of all expenses until the girls were home. Of course, he still had large expenses after that but the largest bulk was taken care of. He was in a different state at the time and his circumstances were different so we probably won't be that lucky, but we can hope and pray right?

Rebekah had a Dr.'s appt today. I can't believe how many people just expect Rebekah to have gotten her tubes tied. It's starting to annoy me.  Everybody expects that we'll quit @ 2 boys and 2 girls. 2 all. Score is tied. Don't you think we need the best 3 out of 5 at least? Maybe best 4 out of 7?

Hey, is anybody interested in my story about the 1lb. burger?

No comments: