After the experience Rebekah had with the previous nurse, I was not in the mood to see yet another strange face in the room. I must confess that once I ascertained that this was indeed a new nurse, I rattled off our ID numbers and promptly ignored her. I was rude. Yes, shocking it may be for those close to me, but I was rather stand-offish (if indeed that is a word). Of course, this poor nurse tries to make small talk by asking Rebekah about other children. And I, very rudely, asked her something along the lines of "Why bother, if we're never going to see you again." Yes. I know. Extremely rude. And if any of you out there are wondering if my mother and father brought me up any better, the answer is yes. In fact, it's only been in the last few years that I've started to get "worldly" in my attitudes towards other people. This is not something that I'm proud of. And, I hope that the nurse reads this blog (I gave her the address to the website). So, in case she is reading this I will apologize.
Sarah, I'm sorry for being a jerk. Please forgive me.
Ok, now that that is out of the way, the healing process can begin. Ok, done. now, I'll actually give you a baby update.
They're actually clothing the little buggers. Imagine that, clothes! Since they were in clothes, I actually got to hold Serenity without doffing my shirt. It was also time for their feedings (12 oz porterhouse) so I also got to hold a syringe of mother's milk (or is it mudder's milk beka?... inside joke). Of course, feed your baby via gravity feed, genius! That last gravity feed that I remember doing was with my Dad and we were using gravity feed on an old Army truck that didn't have a gas tank. Not sure of the other specifics, but the thought of comparing a baby to an army truck had me amused for seconds, easy.
Weightage: Liberty = 2lbs 14 ozs. & Serenity = 3lbs 1oz.
Lengthage: No idea. short methinks
Also, they are starting to wean them off the incubator warmers so they get to see if they can start regulating their own temperature. The previous nurse (not sarah) mentioned that they were hoping to remove their PICC lines (used for IV feeding) after a couple more days. Even if they were on full feedings, they'd leave the line in for several more days just in case, so that was more confusing than anything.
Picture time!
Liberty sleeping soundly

Granteus Maximus holding Serenity

Rebekah holding Liberty.
Notice the hand/thumb
configuration

Just the four of us. Yes,
I do look silly. stop laughing

Kudos to good nurse Sarah who's super friendly and caring attitude kept me from turning into the Hulk. She was also sweet enough (I don't like to use that word, but it fits well) to take the pictures of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment