Monday, April 2, 2007

Splat

by Grant



That's the sound that Titus almost made on Saturday. The boys and I were outside and they were playing in the truck in the carport. I was working in the basement trying to get a phone line wired up for Rebekah. The boys were doing really good, but I guess they got bored. Alarm bells started going off in my head when Forrest came and asked me where Titus was. At the same time Rebekah (who was in the house) started coming outside with the same quest: Find Titus. Rebekah rounded the corner and screamed at him. I took off running at full speed rounding the corner (a little behind and on the outside--of the corner that is) and almost killed myself as the dog did a "deer in the headlights" response and just stood there. Little Titus was at the extreme end of the driveway by the mailbox. On a US Highway no less. Thankfully, when he heard us yelling, he turned around and started trotting back. One small thing to be grateful for, that he is fairly obedient now. Another small blessing is that there was light traffic. But obviously, this was far too close to a tragically horrible end. I don't think Titus understood, but I spent the next few minutes reinforcing it to Forrest how death is final. I blame myself for not supervising him closely enough. We went outside again tonight, but I took a timer with me so I wouldn't forget to check on them. Rebekah was also keeping a sharp eye open. After awhile though, we just gave up and sent him inside. He was very upset. It's really hard to take the boys outside because of the danger, but they love it. I'm not sure how to manage doing the work that I need to do and keep a lookout on the boys at the same time. Somehow we'll manage though.



Baby update:

The girls are just as fussy as ever. I was hoping for a nanny or an au pair for the baby shower on Saturday but no such luck. Just diapers and some clothes. Oh, and cake. But my dad wasn't around to eat any.

No comments: