Sunday, January 27, 2008

The nice thing about an old House

by Grant

    I came down with a cold this last week. No biggie. I got up thursday morning feeling really rotten and trying to stop myself from wimping out of work. So, I took a shower. Well, most of a shower. Two Thirds of the way through the water quit. Yeah, just quit. So, I hopped out of the shower, grabbed a towel and proceeded to confirm my worst fears... aliens had landed. No! Uhm, yeah, there was no water.

<sigh>


So, I go and wake up my wife and then climb down into my pump house with a heat gun. Three hours later, after calling my Dad and a friend at work I finally concede defeat. Of course, I'm not the only one with this problem. My contact for this has five calls already (dang, I should've called earlier). I call my friend Mark and he pulls some strings and gets his brother out there (who owns Leon's Pumps in Payette) in 15 minutes. A few minutes later he thaws out the area on the pump that tells it when to kick on (pressure sensor). Argh! One of those things that you know what the problem is but not quite sure how to fix it. So, we're pretty good to go. Of course, when the pressure tank goes dry then there turns out to be a lot of sediment. Dirt. black stuff. Forrest got really freaked out when the kitchen faucet came on spurting and spitting and ran into the bathroom where the tub was on full blast. Yeah, he didn't handle it well as the tub was even scarier.I came back into the house to be greeted by a screaming kiddo. The pressure was low but that evened out. The only problem was my bathroom faucet. It still seemed frozen as we could get nothing but a drip drip out of it. I eventually figured out that it wasn't frozen at all but plugged full of sediment. So, about a hundred bucks and several frozen appendages later (did I mention it was cold outside?) we're back to normal. So, one more task that I have in front of me is insulating the pump house and putting some sort of heating light down there.

Life... in the fast lane.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: