Learned from the Simpsons this week: Eponymous and Masthead. Eponymous has to do with something being named after a person. So, Rome is an eponym for Romulus the founder. JimBob Payette was the eponymous explorer of Payette county (I made up his first name.I think it's actually something frenchy french).
Masthead is the portion in a newspaper or magazine that nobody reads because it has the names of the important people that own or run said media item.
Oh, and instead of just randomly memorizing words. I credit a large part of my vocabulary to my high school English teacher, Mrs. Brackenbury (or Mrs. B. for short). She had us memorize latin roots (greek too? not sure, it's been a long time). I should have known epi (upon) but I did know nym which is name. So, literally -> Name Upon. See the logic? If that doesn't make much sense I'll try to figure out some more obvious examples.... Circumspect means look (or see) and around (like a circle). So, if you are being circumspect you are being cautious which means you're looking around.
Any Questions?
Blogged with Flock
No comments:
Post a Comment