by Grant
I was thinking the other day about some of the things that make a good wife and mother. One is being tough. I once dated a girl that looked really good on paper (stop laughing). I had just come out of a relationship that was a frickin' roller coaster ride. She (roller-coaster ride) was something truly special... and not in all a good way. Looks and personality in spades. But lacking a bit in the emotional stability department (did I say a little, I meant huge amounts). Anyway, back to paper lady. Paper lady wasn't the most beautiful chick in the henhouse but she had emotional stability (or so I thought) and important things like a correct religious persuasion, a good family, and frugality. Important things when dating someone that might end up walking off with half your stuff someday. But one thing she was not--she was not tough. She had very little stamina. I am thankful that my wife is a tough cookie. The other day we went to Wal-Mart and she insisted on picking up the dog-food to show me she could do it. I had to laugh as she hefted the fifty lb. bag up like it was one of our babies. One tough hombre my dad would say. I think that being tough enables a mother to sacrifice so many things in life. She (and most mothers) sacrifice their figure, time, sleep, sanity (occasionally), their immaculate (once again some mothers) house, hobbies, and many other things too numerous to mention. I think that being a parent, but especially being a mother, can be epitomized by the word "sacrifice." You have to be tough to make the sacrifices. Sacrifice doesn't mean you do everything for your children, but rather you make decisions that are hard in order to rear your children properly. You spank them when your heart aches because you know that its necessary. You make them work because they need to learn the skill. You curb their whining, you make them eat their vegetables, you take away their car keys (or phone), you ground them or pull the distributor cap off their car. You do all these seemingly fruitless things because you're trying by the sweat of your brow to instill in your kids what is good and proper. And it's a mostly thankless job. But I appreciate my tough Mom for all her sacrifices. And I know that my wife appreciates her tough Mom as well.
about the title:It comes from For Those About To Die, We Salute You (a saying to Roman Gladiators before combat)
Baby/Life Update: The girls are a blast when they're not fussing. They track (follow things with their eyes) well and respond to sounds differently. They also have different personalities. They're sleeping better. Life is slowly getting more sane. Forrest is pretty good pretty much all the time. He has really matured and I am proud of him. He helped me get Serenity dressed this morning and acts nothing but loving towards his sisters. Titus is becoming quite the character. He's been such a wallflower for so long and in Forrest's shadow that I marvel when his little personality asserts itself. He's a little more athletic and more of a daredevil. Unfortunately, he's also getting more rebellious which is really frustrating Rebekah. But I think he'll be a great kid once we get through his desire to assert his will. There can be only one (winner--to quote Highlander) and that's gonna be me.
No comments:
Post a Comment