Monday, April 14, 2008

Time races by

by Grant

    The girls are tottering around. Hair abounds on their heads. Forrest is turning into a little man and Titus is a real charmer. Seems like just yesterday that we were kidless, but those memories are getting more and more distant. A couple in our church has initiated divorce. They are a few years older than Rebekah and myself with three young girls. I think they were married 13 years. I always wondered how you could get divorced after being married that long. I think a big part of it is neglect. I'm sure years of ignoring each other and barely tolerating each other as well as fighting finally brought things to a head. And of course, there's always "happiness." If you're not "happy" then that is a reason to leave. I'm not condemning someone that gets a divorce. I'm just trying to understand it. I think that when you have kids one of the things that you risk is the closeness that you have with your spouse. Once you have children, your time and money is gone (Not that I remember having money before kids either). Without time or money, it's pretty hard to maintain a relationship with your significant other. I think it behooves us to keep in mind that any relationship takes work. Whether it's a good friend, a spouse (significant other), or with God (Buddha, Zeus, insert deity here). I tell ya though, it's pretty darn hard when you're tired out of your mind to find energy to work on a relationship. But all I know is that it's necessary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Grant! I really enjoy what you have to say and appreciate the time you take to say it! Keep up the good work. Your Camas Co. friend :o)