by Grant
...Before Christmas. The girls got sick just the other day but they both look much better now. Titus and Forrest still have some lingering issues. Rebekah is still coughing. I am on the strongest antibiotics but am feeling better. I guess this is just one of those trials families go through. It seems like a universal issue is 1. money and 2. health. But, since I have zero, zip, zilch, nada, naught ability to heal my family I guess I can rest in putting these burdens on the great Physician. I always used to say, "That which does not kill me makes me stronger... unless, that is, it results in a weakened immune system which then allows a common cold to turn into double pneumonia and cause a slow linger death." Ok, that's the long version, but it's basically in spirit of my attitude in times past. Nowadays, I try to be a little more positive about things although I freely acknowledge failing quite often.
Thick skin: My Dad has one. I remember people saying some horrible things to my father when I was growing up and it never phased him. He always used to say that it was like water off a duck's back. I seem to recall that duck feathers have some oil or some such in them so that they don't get saturated with H2O. I personally prefer the concept of developing a "thick skin" as I personally have no feathers and wouldn't know how to infuse them with oil even if I did. I've found that by realizing that I have a "thin skin" I can take various offenses in stride and chalk it up to toughening me up--callous if you will. My Dad has such thick callous from all the work he's done that he can pick up really hot pieces of metal that would burn a mortal man. So, I'm trying to get some callous on my feelings. Both work and personal life have given me great opportunities to do so recently. Focus is really important in issues such as this. If I focus on the fact that I was wronged, I am hurt and possibly embittered. However, if I focus on the fact that God (or Life/Karma etc. if you're a heathen) is trying to teach me something, it tends to be a much easier (or less jagged if you like Alanis Morisette) little pill to swallow.
The Simpsons!
I finally saw the movie. It was very entertaining. "Spider Pig, Spider Pig"
No comments:
Post a Comment