I really hope that when I'm more old and infirm I don't yearn for yesteryear. Most people's lives seem to have peaked in college. Well, thankfully I went to Bob Jones so that was the opposite of a peak for me (read pit). I know that many parents can't wait for their kids to grow up. I don't really feel that way. Yes, I'm running on the ragged edge of my sanity and of my abilities. But I do love my children and although it seems like all I ever do is yell at them, a friend pointed out that I must be a horrible Dad since the kids are so scared of me (yeah, he was being sarcastic). I think like Paul said (and I brutally paraphrase here) it is best to be happy in whatever situation you're in. The temptation to be discouraged or even depressed can be great at times, but I think that I have less (far far less) to complain about than ever before. Not that I've ever had a truly good reason to complain. I think that the point of Carpe Diem (sieze the day) gets lost. It is too easy to make everything about ourselves. And as much as I like to tell me wife that it is truly all about me, deep in the cockles of my heart I know tis not true. I think that being a parent is one of life's greatest responsibilities. So little of what I do is because I "want to" but rather because my family needs it. But I don't mind because I love my family. But to be honest, there's not much left of me when I'm done. But that's ok, cause I said so.
Oh, and my kids are already growing up too fast to suit me. They always have.
Before I finished this blog post a partially clothed Serenity came and laid on my side while drinking out of her sippy cup.
No comments:
Post a Comment