Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Boring blog post -- Don't read

I warned you.

I am working on our media center right now. Various children are running around while I'm trying to concentrate on how to create a partition and format a drive so that it's non-lvm so my ext2 driver in Windows can read it so I can get data off of it. Yeah. I didn't understand it either. To start @ the beginning, It all started a few months after the girls were born back in Spring of 07 (pronounced "ot" seven). I discovered that over the previous few months the demon spawn, ahem, I mean sweet angelic children had destroyed some expensive DVDs. So, I decided to rip all of my DVDs to a computer and then the munchkins wouldn't even touch them. In attempt to save money, I decided to recycle (how green of me) a computer that we were disposing of @ work. I took that and bought a few pieces and installed Linux w/ a Media Center preconfigured (called MythTV). Well, after a month and a half of working on it (that sounds like a long time, but with kids that's highly efficient) I had a working system that I was proud of. It served us well for a year and then it started acting flaky. I think that it realized that I had decided to replace it with a newer and shiner (albeit more expensive) media center. So, although I had been hemming and hawing, I have begun moving from Linux to Microsoft Vista. This is hard for me. Linux is the geeks toy. If you know what you're doing, then Linux is for you. Newbies get Mac (although that's changing) and hum drum go Windows. Well, tragically, Linux and my install just wasn't making me happy anymore. It lacked flash. It was single tasking (by this I mean that once I started a movie I was no longer in the media center program). It was awkward (set up lirc sometime and you'll see what I mean) and I was frustrated because I couldn't watch various shows that are streamed online (like Lost, although Heroes (NBC) does work).

So, now that I'm done waiting, I guess we'll see how the next step goes.

BTW, in case you're interested in family stuff, I am trying to keep my mind off things because life is just too frustrating right now. Hence the warning about the blog post being boring.

No comments: