by Grant
Some people think that a family activity is say, going to the zoo. Or if you're well off and and insane, going to Disneyland. I decided tonight that as a family we'd change the oil in our two primary vehicles. Of course, I'm excluding the girls as they don't seem to tolerate late nights very well. Actually, it's more like Mom doesn't tolerate them outside in the dark with vehicles on ramps, etc. etc. etc. So, Forrest and I got started and I put the truck on the ramp. That's always fun as you have to get just the right balance of throttle combined with instant braking at just the right time. I cheat. With a four wheel drive vehicle you have more pull at lower rpms, so it wasn't very hard. Of course, I had Forrest giving me directions which were interesting at the very least. So, by the time the truck was on the ramps my wonderful wife (no sarcasm) came out to help. This is after a rough night with little sleep before. So, I set about acquiring cardboard to lay on and sent Rebekah after tools and Titus to ride his tricycle. Forrest was upset because he was trying to help but I was not utilizing him properly so he was inventing things to do to help. So, I had to find ways to utilize his desire effectively and once I did that he was a great little helper. I remember helping my Dad and getting yelled at, ahem, motivated frequently. Not a lot of fun. So, trying to keep that in mind I'm rushing around trying to get the oil changed in two vehicles with two little ones somewhat underfoot as it's getting dark and late. But after a few minor issues (I ran out of 5w-30 oil. I'll have to get another quart tomorrow) we finished up. If it weren't for my pride and frugality I would pay to have my oil changed; but if I had done that my boys would've missed out on a great family activity. And just think, maybe if we do enough of our own oil changes we can use the money we save and go to Disneyland... Not!
Toddler/Life update:
Yeah, I don't think the girls are babies anymore. Rebekah wants another urchin to wake her up at night (although Titus is common visitor to our bedroom). I, on the other hand, am thinking about headin to a monastery. Ok, not really, but with stress at work I'm a little uncertain about more financial stress. At the WG they did another round of layoffs and I was hit by the arterial spray of one head-lopping so that made me a bit nervous. But, I'm trusting in God and doing my darndest not to worry about it. The girls have decided they're gonna start on the "terrible twos" a little early. So, we're working on tough love as one starts fussing and the other one isn't far behind.
Some people think that a family activity is say, going to the zoo. Or if you're well off and and insane, going to Disneyland. I decided tonight that as a family we'd change the oil in our two primary vehicles. Of course, I'm excluding the girls as they don't seem to tolerate late nights very well. Actually, it's more like Mom doesn't tolerate them outside in the dark with vehicles on ramps, etc. etc. etc. So, Forrest and I got started and I put the truck on the ramp. That's always fun as you have to get just the right balance of throttle combined with instant braking at just the right time. I cheat. With a four wheel drive vehicle you have more pull at lower rpms, so it wasn't very hard. Of course, I had Forrest giving me directions which were interesting at the very least. So, by the time the truck was on the ramps my wonderful wife (no sarcasm) came out to help. This is after a rough night with little sleep before. So, I set about acquiring cardboard to lay on and sent Rebekah after tools and Titus to ride his tricycle. Forrest was upset because he was trying to help but I was not utilizing him properly so he was inventing things to do to help. So, I had to find ways to utilize his desire effectively and once I did that he was a great little helper. I remember helping my Dad and getting yelled at, ahem, motivated frequently. Not a lot of fun. So, trying to keep that in mind I'm rushing around trying to get the oil changed in two vehicles with two little ones somewhat underfoot as it's getting dark and late. But after a few minor issues (I ran out of 5w-30 oil. I'll have to get another quart tomorrow) we finished up. If it weren't for my pride and frugality I would pay to have my oil changed; but if I had done that my boys would've missed out on a great family activity. And just think, maybe if we do enough of our own oil changes we can use the money we save and go to Disneyland... Not!
Toddler/Life update:
Yeah, I don't think the girls are babies anymore. Rebekah wants another urchin to wake her up at night (although Titus is common visitor to our bedroom). I, on the other hand, am thinking about headin to a monastery. Ok, not really, but with stress at work I'm a little uncertain about more financial stress. At the WG they did another round of layoffs and I was hit by the arterial spray of one head-lopping so that made me a bit nervous. But, I'm trusting in God and doing my darndest not to worry about it. The girls have decided they're gonna start on the "terrible twos" a little early. So, we're working on tough love as one starts fussing and the other one isn't far behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment