by Grant
That saying (look up) is supposedly an ancient chinese proverb (my book of insults says it's Irish but everybody else says Chinese... eh). It's actually a curse. Interesting times are usually interesting because they're scary. Times of prosperity and and peace are not interesting. I read the Wall Street Journal and I've discovered that I'm intently interested in the domestic financial news. I'm watching Oil futures and reading about the Bank and mortgage woes. Horribly boring stuff except when you look at the price of gas and ponder whether you (or your neighbor) will have a job tomorrow. I work for a company that is 90% domestic housing driven and it's been ugly. I think that we've hit the bottom and it's leveled off, but it's been a wild ride. Thankfully, sometimes you don't know that you're on a roller-coaster until you're half-way done w/ the ride. I haven't blogged in a bit because I've felt a lot of stress from many different sides and didn't want to start whining on the Internet. It's tough to not fret (although I am the first to admit that worry has no benefits) when I look at our budget (yes, we actually have a budget) and see that without major changes (such as selling a car or finding a different job) we can't take any more expenses. Of course, it's at times like this that we get hit with improperly billed medical expenses and find out that we won't get any bonus in the next year and by-the-way you only get 2% pay raise this year no matter how good or bad you performed. Hmmm... that sounds a lot like complaining. Yeah, I think it probably is. God promises to meet our needs. Our pastor said that was "food, clothing and shelter." You mean that doesn't include cell phone and gas?? Well, God frequently meets those "needs" too, but I think it's vital to remember that we Americans have expanded "need" to include so many things. Well, hopefully that wasn't too painful.
Family/life update:
Girls are growing and getting even more fun. They're a blast to play with. Serenity is a super ham and Liberty is almost always demure and graceful. Although, both Rebekah and I were laughing loudly at Liberty as she did her best to imitate a drunk dinosaur (the kind on the Flintstones). I'm not sure where she got that from, but I wish we could've gotten a video of it. A friend from church gave us a print-out of a "permission to date your daughter" application. It was obviously a joke, but I made a mental note to find it when our girls get that age (30).
And remember, keep smiling.
(10 points if anybody knows who "Mr. Kidsel" was on the "Burns and Allen" radio show)
That saying (look up) is supposedly an ancient chinese proverb (my book of insults says it's Irish but everybody else says Chinese... eh). It's actually a curse. Interesting times are usually interesting because they're scary. Times of prosperity and and peace are not interesting. I read the Wall Street Journal and I've discovered that I'm intently interested in the domestic financial news. I'm watching Oil futures and reading about the Bank and mortgage woes. Horribly boring stuff except when you look at the price of gas and ponder whether you (or your neighbor) will have a job tomorrow. I work for a company that is 90% domestic housing driven and it's been ugly. I think that we've hit the bottom and it's leveled off, but it's been a wild ride. Thankfully, sometimes you don't know that you're on a roller-coaster until you're half-way done w/ the ride. I haven't blogged in a bit because I've felt a lot of stress from many different sides and didn't want to start whining on the Internet. It's tough to not fret (although I am the first to admit that worry has no benefits) when I look at our budget (yes, we actually have a budget) and see that without major changes (such as selling a car or finding a different job) we can't take any more expenses. Of course, it's at times like this that we get hit with improperly billed medical expenses and find out that we won't get any bonus in the next year and by-the-way you only get 2% pay raise this year no matter how good or bad you performed. Hmmm... that sounds a lot like complaining. Yeah, I think it probably is. God promises to meet our needs. Our pastor said that was "food, clothing and shelter." You mean that doesn't include cell phone and gas?? Well, God frequently meets those "needs" too, but I think it's vital to remember that we Americans have expanded "need" to include so many things. Well, hopefully that wasn't too painful.
Family/life update:
Girls are growing and getting even more fun. They're a blast to play with. Serenity is a super ham and Liberty is almost always demure and graceful. Although, both Rebekah and I were laughing loudly at Liberty as she did her best to imitate a drunk dinosaur (the kind on the Flintstones). I'm not sure where she got that from, but I wish we could've gotten a video of it. A friend from church gave us a print-out of a "permission to date your daughter" application. It was obviously a joke, but I made a mental note to find it when our girls get that age (30).
And remember, keep smiling.
(10 points if anybody knows who "Mr. Kidsel" was on the "Burns and Allen" radio show)
No comments:
Post a Comment