Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Saturday to Remember

By Grant


We had some pretty ambitious plans for yesterday, but our day started out with sadness. Our dog of 7 years, Koffee, got hit by a car and killed. I knew it was going to happen because in the past year she had started going across the road to a farmer's field. We saw her almost get hit I don't know how many times. But just a week ago she also started using the carpet as her bathroom as well. After the 5th or 6th time we stopped letting her spend the night indoors and it was that event that precipitated her death. She got hit early saturday morning before we were even out of bed. I feel a bit guilty because I know that If I had been able to train her better, etc. we might have avoided this. But, with four kids and a full time stressful job plus church frequently and involvement it was pretty much impossible to spend more time with the dog.

whew! I just got interrupted by a screaming Liberty who was falling out of her chair under the table because I didn't buckle her in.

Back to the sad story...
So, I took the wheelbarrow across the road (dodging cars) and got her. I made Rebekah stay behind because she couldn't promise that she wouldn't cry. Well, if she started crying then I might and I didn't need that. One of those things that you have to be tough about and just accept with a tinge of regret. I then spent the next hour digging a grave with Rebekah and we laid river rocks on top of it. And even though I don't believe animals have souls, I still prayed a prayer thanking God for the good times she gave us and the protection she provided our house.

I'd like another dog, but I need to find one that's not too energetic and is good with kids. And I am going to get our place fenced in soon to prevent this from happening again. If you have any dog recommendations, please let me know.

No comments: