Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Nothing Clever

by Grant

    My Grandmother died on Monday. Rebekah was going to go with me to the funeral but decided to stay home with the kids. Probably best. I contracted some illness on Monday night so I'll be making the trip solo and sick. Don't cry for me Argentina, I'm sure I'll be fine. Rebekah graciously offered to let me take Forrest so I wouldn't be lonely (a teeney tiny part of me questions her motives) but that's not a good idea as I can barely take care of myself when I'm not sick let alone when a contagion is battling my immune system for dominance.

    I think that a death can spark some thoughts about the meaning of life. I know many people think it's tacky to "promote religion" at a funeral, but if you think of it bluntly, that's the most appropriate time. If you are a Christian, muslim, budhist, etc. you don't get a lot of benefits in this life. Frequently, you get persecuted for being the wrong religion. Jews, especially the jews. I think that doing a funeral service for a person that didn't know Christ would be extremely hard. I'm very grateful that my grandmother believed that Jesus died for her sins because she was a sinner (as are we all). I'm very grateful and joyful that she is with God now and no longer suffering. I think that it is perfectly natural to mourn her passing but with bitter sweet tears. She had suffered quite awhile and her health had deteriorated. My Mom called me Sunday to tell me the end was near, but we didn't know how near it truly was.

I'll miss my grandma; I loved her and I know that she loved me.

No comments: