Sunday, October 7, 2007

Helpful People

by Grant

    My Mother-in-law was sweet enough to gracefully, sweetly, tactfully, inform me that Rebekah's birthday is on Thursday. Heck, I was just saying Tuesday because that's what Rebekah told me. Silly me. Does it really matter? I'm sure on Tuesday Rebekah is going to be thrilled with me if I just say, "Honey, it's not your birthday yet." Who really thinks that's going to fly. There will be tears and accusations that I don't love somebody and I'm not the man that she married (that's true, he's been tied up in the basement for the last two months) and things like that.

    Rebekah tripped on Forrest coming downstairs this morning. She thumped her way down a few steps hurting her wrist (it's swollen), her neck (wrenched) and her tail bone. Life is hard, when you can't walk down the stairs safely. She's still in pain and moving slowly, but thankfully not hurt seriously.

    I went to get the last of the wood on Saturday. Forrest had been sick with the stomach flu, but he'd been pretty good so I took him along. Yeah, bad idea. He vomited all over the back seat. Quite a mess, let me tell you. Of course, we didn't have any spare clothes and I was just a couple miles from my destination. So I stopped and took all the defiled clothing off of him and put in the bed of truck with the chainsaw sitting on it. Then we continued on. He did fine the rest of the time, contentedly sitting in the truck in just his skivvies. I tried to find some good music for him to listen to (he likes classical) but all I could find was country gospel. That was acceptable to him so he relaxed in the truck with the warm rays of the sun while I bucked big pieces of wood into the truck.

    So, this week we've had Titus sick and throwing up all day and then Forrest sick on Thursday night and throwing up every 1.5 hours. The girls each had an incident somewhere during the night (on subsequent nights) but it didn't seeem to phase them much. So far Rebekah is healthy as am I (except for my bronchitis struggle).

    Rebekah bought tickets for her mom and grandmother to come out and visit. Since we don't live in a platial palace we're going to give up our bed for them. I've never been a very good host, so I hope they don't expect much when they get here. (think of Shrek in the first Shrek when he greeted the fairytale creatures: "Get off my land!")

No comments: