Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Pondering and Pontificating

by Grant

    Actually, I'll do most of that on my own blog, but I figured I'd warn you in case I accidentally pull the trigger.

Emphasis.
    You've all heard the jest about putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable (or siloble). I submit that good stories require just the precise amount of emphasis in the proper parts (as well as the proper proportions). What I didn't realize is that sometimes you can place the emphasis on a completely different part of the story and have something you'd never intended. Good stories require that you know what you are going to say (not exactly of course) and what the "punchline" is. Maybe it's funny, maybe it's not, but it's the thing that makes people say, "Wow. cool story. I bow in your presence at your mastery of the spoken word." rather than, "Will somebody please shut... hmm. I wonder what's for dinner. Maybe it's meatloaf. I like meatloaf. But only if there aren't onions. Onions are an abomination." Obviously, glazed eyes are not good. Not like glazed donuts are good. Although, I must profess that I've never consumed eyes, glazed or otherwise, but obviously I'm not talking about food. Am I? Moving right along... Maybe an example would help (if I can transcribe a verbal story into a written one appropriately... Let's see how this goes.)

Story 1: As remembered by Grant

Grant is outside in the hot sun working on a fence. He's frustrated for a variety of reasons and things generally aren't going well. He is looking down at the ground and pondering how frustrated he is when his eldest son comes up. "What are you doing Dad?", he asks. Grant responds, "I'm thinking." Not content at that response, Forrest inquires, "What are you thinking?" Grant, thinking quickly, decides that rather than vent on this poor (not so innocent at times) child, he'll try to spin this positively. So, Grant leans over and giving Forrest (the eldest child) a quick hug, he says, "I'm thinking that I love you." His son is embarrassed and laughs and walking a couple steps away out of further hug range and says, "I love you too Dad. We're bestest friends"

Story 2: As overheard by nosy female @ work (Just kidding Janice)

Grant is working on a fence and is having trouble and about ready to say every dirty word in the book when Forrest comes up and asks what he's doing. Grant then leans over and hugs him and says, "I'm thinking how much I love you."


So, do you see the difference in emphasis? The first story while having all the same details focuses on the child's response. The second one focuses on me. I was very surprised when Janice stopped there and all the females within earshot starting saying odd things like, "What a good father." Obviously, I beat a hasty retreat. For the record, I am an Ogre. Maybe Ogres are good fathers, not sure. Haven't see Shrek 4 yet to see how the kid comes out (He did have a kid in Shrek 3 right?). But I was really taken aback at how she told the same basic story but came out with a totally different emphasis while still having a good story. Fascinating huh? (BTW, my version of the story is better.)

Baby/Life update

    Must kill collectors. How come they want paid? I don't understand how come they don't pay us to go the hospital (roughly paraphrased from my wife's comments.) Other things...  Titus kindly put dirt in my lawn mowers gas tank. This might be a problem if I watered my lawn. Thankfully, I don't so mowing isn't much of any issue. (You think I jest. I assure you that I don't. much). Ooooh ooh! Liberty rolled over. Then she was unhappy (no likey the tummy). Serenity is progressing nicely according to some Child Developmental chick. LIberty needs to spend more time on the tummy (uh oh). Ah, and the boys and I happened upon one of our NICU nurses. We really liked her, but didn't see her a lot as she only worked part time. Turns out she only lives a few miles away. I need to take the girls over so she can see what a good job she did in her caretaker roll.

Well, I guess that's it. If you'll excuse me, I'm off to club some puppies. I prefer clubbing baby seals, but they're scarce this time of year. Hey, I told you I was an Ogre.

No comments: