Friday, June 18, 2010

Dirt was never so much fun

Some parents take their kids to disneyland or on a cruise. zor <gasp> a world cup game! (man, that would be child abuse in my mind). But few let their offspring dig ditches for a family event. Yes, well, I like to have my kids earn their keep. It has the added bonus of tiring them out so much that they fall fast asleep quickly. Unfortunately, sometimes they fall asleep on their shovels whilst still still on the job. Then I have to cut their food rations as punishment. Sad, but necessary.

Ok, give me a break. Have you ever tried to dig a ditch with two 3 year old girls, one five year old boy, and one six year old boy?? it's chaos! First you have to try to find shovels for everybody and then you have to keep the oldest boy from splitting the girls'' skulls open as he shovels. Then you have to show one girl how to use a garden spade while the other girl fills in the hole that you're digging. And while all this is while your other boy is digging up the grass where you don't need it dug up. Let's just say I was relieved when they had to go inside for dinner.

tomorrow we have a father/son firearm extravaganza @ the Sherrif's dept. shooting range here in Payette. Pretty cool. Bring your guns, bring your ammo, and prepare to expend some rounds. I swear I can see a quarter instead of a round fire out of my .357 every time I shoot it. Maybe that's because the last time I bought ammo for it that's how much it cost. Well, hopefully nobody shoots anybody else. But if it happens, I'm sure it'll just be a flesh wound ;)

No comments: