Friday, November 13, 2009

It burns! it burns!

actually, it itches. my head, my neck, my legs. Anywhere that came in contact with the pink panther insulation. Now I'm glad we harvest those guys for their itchy fur. We do harvest insulation from animals right? If not, i'm sorely disappointed.

Let's go back a couple weeks. I was sick and I hadn't cleaned my roof. I mean, my chimney. You'll have to forgive my roof obsession as getting up on it is my primary focus. Last fall (or was it spring? It was one of the four seasons, I'm sure) I had to climb on my roof to try to keep the shingles from taking flight like a bunch of pigs. What do you mean pigs don't fly? Yeah, well, neither did my shingles thanks to my lightning fast reflexes. Anyway, that experience was unpleasant. The pigs flying away with my shingles I mean. But other than pink things giving me trouble, the wind was so fierce that I almost got blown off the roof myself. But, although the weather was foggy that morning, the one that i needed to clean my chimney, I was able to get up on the roof and scratch a little soot off of my chimney. After I got up there, I turned around only to see Titus climbing up after me. The little monkey. He was very careful, but I didn't have the ability to send him back down safely so I just had to yell at him at various times to try to keep him safe. Once I got to a stopping spot, we went down together. He certainly enjoyed himself though.

Last weekend I tore down the wall to our attic that I had put the pellet stove in. That was interesting. Rebekah was a big help which was really nice. I miss her not being able to help on a regular basis, but she's trying to get more involved. Doing demolition and then construction with four kids underfoot was challenging. But thankfully, nobody got hurt although I was pretty bruised from hitting my back, head and knees a bunch of times. So, we now have two smaller attics and an alcove that the pellet stove is in. We're pondering putting the boys in the two little attics (they're short, they don't mind lower ceilings) but I have to run electricity and finish it with drywall and insulation. It needs done but it will take some time and money. Oh, and energy. I tell you, I have learned so much having an old house. As the needs of my family keep increasing I am forced to adapt which forces me to learn. The nice thing is it's not a huge pressure all at once. I can see the needs developing and plan. I am definitely going to have to put a bathroom in upstairs next year. It's bad enough sharing with the boys but when a 2 year old (almost 3) girl starts pounding on the door and screaming "I've got to go potty Daddy!" it's a little bit too much to bear :)

ok, my grammar and sentence structure is bad but with the chaos in the house like now I'm lucky I got anything pounded out. As my Dad always used to say, "If you don't like it, you can lump it."

No comments: